International Office Medical Faculty & Student / Prospective Student

International Student Classification

Undergraduate Student

Criteria for enrollment
Applicants must be of non-Japanese citizenship and have completed 12 years of schooling in a country other than Japan.
Japanese Government (Monbukagakusyo) Scholarship Students
Selection is based on submitted documents.
Privatery-financed international students
Applicants ust pass the entrance examination of the university after sitting for the Examination for Japanese University Admission for International Students, administered by the Japan Student Services Organization.
Undergraduate students enrolled at the university for over four years and who obtain the specified number of credits will be awarded a bachelor's degree.

Graduate students

Criteria for enrollment
Applicants should have graduated from a university in Japan or should have completed a prescribed programs from a university outoside Japan.
Applicants must pass the entrance examination.
Students enrolled in the master's program for over 2 years and those enrolled in the doctoral program for over 3 years (4 years for medicine-related programs in the Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Science) will be awarded their respective academic degrees after completing the proper courses and resarch work.

Credited Auditors (kamokuto rishusei)

Criteria for enrollment
Applicants who are considered academically capable of talking classes in their subject.
Credits are obtained upon passing the examinations.

Non-degree Research Students (kenkyusei)

Criteria for enrollment
Applocants must have graduated from an accredited university or must have completed a 16-year curriculum of school education in a foreigm country.
Selection of non-degree research students is based on the evaluation of submitted documents and no entrance examination is conducted. Non-degree research students conduct their designated research under thae guidance of an academic adivisor and are allowed to audit other courses but no credits are awarded.
Research Period
The period of research for non-degree research students terminates at the end of the academic year (by March 31 of the following year). Should the student wish to extend the research period, an extension up to a total of two years will be approved,as long as the student can obtain permission.

Exchange Students (tokubetsu chokogakusei)

Students of other universities, with which the university of Tsukuba has agreements, who are talking classes at the undergraduate or graduate level at this university.

Exchange Research Students (tokubetsu kenkyugakusei)

Students of other universities, with which the University of Tsukuba has agreements,who are receiving guidance from supervisors at the graduate level at the University of Tsukuba.

Students of Intensive Japanese Training (nihongo kenshusei)

Students who are attending intensive Japanese language training for six months before beginning their studies as research students.



Scholarships for privately-financed international students are divided into two types according to the application method: The first type of scholarship requires application through the university, while the second type allows direct application to the scholarship foundation.

1) Application for Scholarship through University Recommendation

Privately-financed international students can apply for a scholarship through university recommendation only once a year.

① Students who wish to receive this type of scholarship and who meet all the requirements should complete the prescribed application form in July (see Note 6) and submititto the dean or provost of the educational organization (college/graduate course)in which they are enrolled.

② The application will be examined by the respective educational organization and,if accepted,it will be given a recommendation ranking and will be recommended furtherto the President ofthe university.

③ Upon receiving application announcements from the various scholarship foundations, a selection committee in the ISC selects students for recommendation among the candidates nominated by each educational organization ofthe university according to the recommendation ranking that they received.

④ Selected candidates will be informed about the procedure required in order to submit their applications to the respective scholarship foundations by the President of the university through the dean of their educational organization.

⑤ The selected candidates will then submit all the required documents through the dean of their educational organization to the President of the university.

⑥ The President of the university will recommend the selected candidates to the scholarship foundations.

Note 1: Please check the requirements for applications as noted in the annual "Recruitment Requirements."

Note 2: Applicants cannot simultaneously receive two scholarships based on university recommendation.

Note 3: Not all candidates recommended by the university will be accepted by the scholarship foundations.

Note 4: Not all applicants will be recommended to the scholarship foundations;therefore, students are advised to simultaneously apply for a scholarship through direct application as well.(Please also note that if you receive a scholarship through direct application, you are ineligible for any scholarships through recommendation from the university, as you cannot simultaneously receive two scholarships.)

Note 5: Only candidates who have been selected for recommendation will be notified.

Note 6: An additional recruitment for scholarships is organized in the month of April for degree students and non-degree research students who joined the university in April, or in September or December of the previous year. Students who have already applied at our university at the time of the July recruitment cannot apply during this additional recruitment.(However, students who were unable to apply due to a leave of absence from the university, but who will re-enroll the following academic year, may apply.)

2) Individual Application for Scholarship (Direct Application)

Information on the scholarships available through individual application will be posted as soon as available atthe Dirision of International Students and the Academic Service Offices. Since these scholarships do not require a recommendation from the President of the university, international students can apply directly by themselves to the scholarship foundations. Please note that the period of applications and qualifications, etc. are subject to change.

Note: Please note that if you receive a scholarship through individual application, you are ineligible for scholarships through recommendation from the university because you cannot simultaneously receive two scholarships.


1) Student Residence Halls

The University of Tsukuba provides single and family residences for both Japanese and international students. A total of 60 residence halls with 3,784 single and 250 family rooms are located in the south (Hirasuna, Oikoshi), north (Ichinoya and Ichinoya South) areas of the main campus, and on the Kasuga Campus.

The daily upkeep and maintenance of the student residence halls is entrusted to the Student Residence Administration Office of the Tsukuba Gakuto Shikin Foundation.

Contact details forresidence administration offices are as follows:

Hirasuna Residence Administration Office
2-1-1 Amakubo, Tsukuba,Ibaraki, 305-0005 Tel 90-2900 (internal); Tel 029-858-0131(external)
Oikoshi Residence Administration Office
2-1-1 Amakubo, Tsukuba,Ibaraki, 305-0005 Tel 90-2910 (internal); Tel 029-858-0132 (external)
Ichinoya Residence Administration Office
2-1 Tennodai, Tsukuba,Ibaraki, 305-0006 Tel 90-2990 (internal); Tel 029-858-0133 (external)
Kasuga Residence Administration Office
1-2-12 Kasuga, Tsukuba,Ibaraki, 305-8550 Tel 8-1193 (internal); Tel 029-859-1193 (external)


Information about applying for residence in single rooms is available from the Hirasuna Residence Administration Office at 029-858-0131.
For family accommodation, please contact the Student Residence Section of the Division of Student Welfare, which is located on the 3rd floor of the Student Plaza at 029-853-2385 or 2265.
Those non-degree research students who are newly enrolled and wish to live in the student residences must apply at the Division of International Students at the time of the entrance non-degree formalities.

Period of Residence

As a rule, the period of residence is up to the end of the current academic year (March 31). If a student wishes to live in the student residences for another year, he/she should pay attention to the bulletin board from October to December and follow the posted instructions regarding residence application. There is a chance you will have to shift to a different room.
For family rooms, information will be posted at the beginning of November.

Rules for Residents

Since the dormitory is a shared facility, there are various rules that must be followed. For details please refer to the "Guidebook for Dormitory Life".
For those who correspond to any of the following rules, please be aware that you can be ordered to move out.
If you do not move out, even though your period of residence is ending
If you are in arrears with the rent for more than three months for no reason
If you lodged someone other than a resident
If you befoul and damage a facility in any way and do not pay for the cost required to restore to original state
If you disobey a necessary instruction for management and operation
If there was a false entry in your housing application
If you violated a condition of eligibility
If you committed an act that poses a problem for management and operation

Internet Access

Internet access is provided free of charge in all rooms by wired LAN.

Dormitory Phone

Telephones are installed in each room of the residence halls except those on the Kasuga Campus. Phone calls between residences are free of charge. External lines can be obtained by making a contract.
How to make phone calls:
- From any residence to the university via an internal line, dial 90 plus the last four digits.
- From a university internal line to the Ichinoya Residence Hall, dial 97 plus the last four digits.
- From a university internal line to the Hirasuna/Oikoshi Residence Hall, dial 98 plus the last four digits.
Those who wish to make external calls should contact the Student Residence Telephone System Company, Hirasuna Residence Building No. 3, 1st floor. Dial 029-858-7963 from an external line or 3099 from an internal line.


You must separate the garbage according to the regulations of Tsukuba City, and dispose of it by 8 a.m. on the designated day and in the designated disposal bins. Detailed instructions on garbage disposal are provided in a file titled, "About sorted garbage collection" which you will find in your room when you move in.
* Large-sized garbage collection requires a special reservation and is done for a charge.
* According to the law, the city does not collect television sets, refrigerators, washing machines and air conditioning units.
These rules do not change when you move out from the university residence halls into a private apartment m the city. Please do your best to keep the environment clean.

Parking Lot

Students may bring their cars in all student residence areas except the Kasuga area, and they must pay a fee for the parking lot.
If you wish to obtain permission for a parking space, show your student ID and driver's license, and submit copies of your car's automobile inspection certificate (shaken shomeisho) and car insurance. The Division of Student Welfare will verify the documents you have submitted to the Student Residence Administration Office and, if approved, will issue a parking permit to you. But there are cases where it may not be permitted due to the limited space in the parking lot (in case of family residences, only one car per family is allowed). As a role, you cannot use the car to go to the university from your student residence hall. Students who do not have parking permits cannot park their cars in the residence areas.

2) Private Apartments

There are a number of apanments and condominiums near the campus. The monthly rent varies depending on when the apartment was constructed and how it is furnished. Rates average between 30,000 to 50,000 yen for a six-mat room with kitchen, bath and toilet. When finalizing a contract, it is Customary to pay a rental deposit (shikikin) and key money (reikin) totalling I to 2 months'rent in addltion to the rent.
Information on housing is available at the Student Residence Section of the Division of Student Welfare, located on the 3rd door of Student Plaza.

Change of Address

When you move to a student residence hall or apartment, you are requested to submit a Notification of Change of Address to your Academic Services Office (undergraduate and graduate students) or the Division of lnternational Students (non-degree research students and short-term exchange students).

You should also notify the following offices of your change of address.

(1) The city hall where you are moving to (at the Alien Registration and National Health Insuance windows) within 14 days after your move.
(2) The bank where you opened an account.
(3) The nearest post office.*

* If you submit the appropriate form to the post office, your mail to your former address will be forwarded to your new address. However, you are advised to inform your friends and the senders of periodicals of you new address.
If you live in an apartment with an individual entrance, you must inform the gas company, the waterworks bureau and the electric company in order to settle you accounts before you move.

Comprehensive Renters Insurance for tnternationai Students Studying in Japan

This is a way to prepare yourself against damage by fire or natural calamities, and not to inconvenience your guarantor for the expenses.
Nomally, when renting a private apartment in Japan, you need a guarantor (hoshonin). If you join this plan, the burden of psychological and economical responslbillty on the guarantor is considerably lessened, making it easier for international students to find a guarantor. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that students living in apartments enroll in this insurance policy.
For details, please ask at the Division of Intemational Smdents.

Service of Joint and Several Liability for a Lease Contract of a Private Apartment by the University of Tsukuba Support Association for lnternationai Students

The University of Tsukuba Support Association for lnternational Students holds joint and several liability for international students in order to lighten their burden of securing a joint guarantor for making a lease contact of a private apartment, by examining the applicants for this service under certain conditions such as Jiining the "Comprehensive Renters Insuance for Foreign Students Studying in Japan" system.
Contact the Office of the University of Tsukuba Support Association for International Students at the Division of lnternational Students for more speccific information.